Back to Index
Oklahoma. Baptist University Administration Building
Even before the mad-scramble days of the opening month had passed the citizens of the capital of B County had begun to build for the future.
Some came with knocked down buildings all ready to set up for business in the new town. Lumber yards came. Johnny Moyle built a sawmill. And within a surprisingly short time tents became frame buildings. Then soon John and Ike Smith, general merchants, started the first stone building, the one now occupied by the Cooper furniture company.
Among the first business firms to establish in Tecumseh were Gaylord Brothers drugs, Remington drug store, D. D. Klapp drug store, the John A. Moyle sawmill and gristmill on East Main street, Captain Scott's general store en the north side of the square, the Tom Smith and J. H. Hibbard bakery, Sam Clay dry goods and groceries, Nichols and George hardware, the J. H. Maxey bank at the corner of Broadway and Park, and the Exchange Bank operated by Ed Search. Short and peppery Ike Renfro, the town's ace gambler, operated in a tent on Main Street, then later moved to the building now occupied by Copeland's grocery.
While Tecumseh's merchants were working day and night to take care of the settlers' needs, they still were not too busy to think of such things as schools and churches.
In the spring of 1892 Miss Lela Hendry brought 25 pupils together, set them on box seats, and started the first teaching of fundamentals ever done ill Tecumseh. For $3 a month she rented a frame building on West Main Street. Her pupils paid $1.50 a month and gathered their ABCs from Whatever books mother and father had saved. Early summer heat soon ended this first school.
The next fall businessmen got their heads together in an effort to organize a public school system. But again private schools had to suffice. One subscription school was taught that year by a Richard Hobson in the Friends' Mission building. Other small subscription schools were held that year in the Cumber land Presbyterian Church, a store building on North Broadway, and in a house just east of the Rock Island depot.
By the fall of 1893 the town had built its first school building, on the present site of Willard grade school. George Patrick, the first superintendent, was soon succeeded by George E. McKinnis, who served until 1895.
It required two years for organization of the first public school system. But for organizing the first religious services, church leaders required only one month.
September 27, 1891, the first Sunday following the opening, Rev. William Meyer and William Davis, Presbyterian missionaries, held Tecumseh's first services under an oak tree at the northeast corner of the court house square. By October 17, Davis had organized a union Sunday school and on October 20, Rev. Meyer enrolled the names of nine people who wished to become organized into a Presbyterian church.
In March, 1893, several Baptist families got together in the old frame court house, and under the leadership of Rev. Lambright, organized the First Baptist church of Tecumseh. Within two years the court house was the scene of the organization of the First Christian church.
For the first few years church groups worshiped in the court house, in the Friends' church 011 the west side of town, in tents and vacant buildings. As thing became more settled, the groups built their Own houses, other denominations joined them, and soon Tecumseh became known as a town of many churches.
* * * * * *
When the majority of Tecumseh citizens refused Shawnee's offer to move north with Choctaw, they tightened their suspenders and set about to find ways and means of staying in the race for supremacy. One railroad bubble after another burst until finally the businessmen organized their own railroad to connect with the Choctaw east of Shawnee. (Related in the chapter “A Tale of Two Cities”)
The building of the court house in 1897 ended a county seat skirmish in favor of Tecumseh, and stabilized things for a time. The turn of the century found Tecumseh definitely out of the picture as a county metropolis, but still a prosperous county seat.
Of those prosperous days at the start of the century S. P. Larsh recalls: “Everybody was young, ambitious and banded together with a burning desire to develop this country. We took time to get acquainted with folks, and did a whale of a: big business besides. Today chain stores, highways and a faster tempo have changed all this. There is no longer such a distinct friendship between the customer and the merchant.”
The year 1903 found things around Tecumseh humming. A franchise had just been voted the Shawnee-Tecumseh Traction Co. for an interurban line. The Rock Island railway bought the “Lillian Russell” and began extending the line to Asher. That year also found the Santa Fe building its road through the county.
Statehood found Tecumseh in pretty good shape to withstand the financial shock of prohibition. As in every other town of the county, the saloon business had been the greatest prop of prosperity, bringing in valuable trade from dry Indian Territory.
But when saloon doors closed, the Indianola Business College, one of the most extensive in the state, continued to turn out well-trained students. Jim Parker expanded his nursery, the oil mill under the direction of J. W. Drake furnished employment for a score of men, and Benson Park was hailed as one of the most beautiful pleasure resorts in the state. An article in Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine, May, 1908, read “Tecumseh's future is insured because it is in the suburbs of Shawnee, the second city in the state and the most likely to become the permanent state capital.”
Meanwhile Tecumseh's school system had been expanding to provide more adequate facilities. Although high school subjects were taught as early as 1895, the first two high school diplomas were issued in 1905 to Emmett Klapp and Miss Mittie Cotton. The high school building, on the present site of Willard school, burned in 1916 and was replaced by the present building in Tecumseh Park.
While the war was still in progress, Tecumseh fell heir to the State Industrial School for Girls that was moved from Oklahoma City by the legislature. It was through the efforts of L. P. Henderson, member of the state board of managers under Governor J. B. A. Robertson, that the school was placed at Tecumseh. Tecumseh citizens donated $800 to purchase a site, and Henderson secured the backing of the governor and the board of managers.
* * * * * *
The coming of oil found Tecumseh well situated to reap a part of the golden harvest. Population jumped in a few months from 1,500 to 2,500 as many field workers found convenient headquarters in Tecumseh. The town boomed, new buildings were thrown up, Willard ward school was built on the old high school site, and a bond issue was voted for sewer system and construction of the Tecumseh lake.
Loss of the county seat in 1930 ushered in the depression with double force. The resultant loss in business, and high taxes for the lake bonds kept things at a standstill for a time. Then as the depression wore on Tecumseh began to adjust itself to the new conditions. People started laughing again when Uncle Sam began passing out some of his good money. A CCC camp was established at Tecumseh, stayed long enough to build a pond in Tecumseh Park and to construct shelter houses and landscape the lake Dark. PWA workers meanwhile graveled Tecumseh's streets, and others received work in the other federal projects.
Tecumseh's largest New Deal plums did not come until early in 1936 with assurance of a $25,000 municipal auditorium and an overpass on the Norman highway. A great factor in securing these projects was Mayor Clyde Pitman. Material from the old court house was salvaged and used in the new building. The auditorium will be a meeting place for all civic groups and will be especially valuable as the annual banquet hall Of the Tecumseh High School Alumni association.
The alumni association was first organized some, time around 1905. A reorganization was effected a few years later, and today the group boasts it is the oldest and most active such organization in the state.
* * * * * *
AMONG TECUMSEH'S PIONEERS
Klapp’s Drug Store--David D. Klapp and Mary M. Klapp moved in 1886 to Alphine in No-Man's land, and organized their drug store February 3, 1886, which has been contentiously operated by the same family since. They moved to Oklahoma City in June, 1889, and operated a store two doors south of the Huckins hotel. Klapp became .the sixth registered pharmacist in. Oklahoma equipment into a wagon and staked: a homestead southeast of Tecumseh.
'This wagon served as Klapp's Drug Store until a one-story frame building was erected at the corner of Main and Broadway. The business was moved to its present location in 1898. Mr. Klapp died in 1910 and since then the business has been operated by his widow and sons. Emmett, Claude, Roy and John are registered druggists. One living daughter, Esther Row, is a school teacher. Mrs. Mary M. Klapp was recently voted Tecumseh's most useful citizen.
Stevenson and Sons-- J. A. Stevenson and a brother operated one of the first gins in Tecumseh in 1893. Machinery for the gin, which stood west of the present Rock Island tracks and south of Washington Street, was delayed and by the time it reached Tecumseh, the town was stacked high with waiting cotton wagons. After ginning 1,000 bales that fall the gin was moved to East Park Street.
In 1904 Stevenson opened a gin, sawmill and store at Temple, near the present Temple Hill school. The next year he sold the establishment and moved to a farm northeast of Tecumseh. Then in 19026 Stevenson moved to Tecumseh to operate a grocery store. In 1928 the firm moved to its present location on South Broadway. During 1935 the produce end of the business paid $90,000 to Pottawatomie county fanners for poultry, cream and pecans.
Larsh and Hanon--For the first six months after he moved to Tecumseh in 1894, Larsh operated the Lee hotel. Then he became cashier in the Tecumseh National bank, and in 1896 became general manager of the Tecumseh Railway company. The year 1893 found Larsh in the hardware business with E. C. Nichols. In 1905 he bought Nichols out, then sold the business in 1908. After several years in Oklahoma City, Larsh returned to Tecumseh to buy the Krouch brothers mercantile business. Six months later he was joined by L. V. Hanon.
Hanon had come to Tecumseh from Missouri in 1905. After being associated with Larsh and Nichols for a few months he moved to Wanette in 1906 to acquire a dry goods business. From 1910 to 1913 Hanon operated stores at Ryan, and at Sapulpa, returning in 1913 to join Larsh in the present firm.
Lon Boyd--In 1900 H. J. Boyd brought his family from Arkansas and established a grocery store south of the old Opera House. In 1905 Boyd moved his store to the first door north of the old court house, and in 1907 he built the Boyd building. Lon Boyd started working in the store in 1910. H. J. left the business in 1916, and in 1922 Lon sold his interest in the store to his brother, Carl, and started his own store on South Broadway. In 1931 he moved the store to its present location.
Boyd has seen many changes in the grocery business. In the early days there were no tin cans, sliced bread or other modern doodads. Salt was sold from big barrels. Flour was sold in 1,000 pounds lots. Often the 275 pound barrels of salt would stand in front or the store until rain and weather had made them hard as rocks. To parcel it out, the clerks had to wet down the salt, which of course would harden again after the customer bought it. How he was to serve it on the table was his own worry.
Clarence Robison--In 1892 Clarence Robison came with his father to a farm northeast of Romulus. The family had first moved to Indian Territory from Arkansas. In 1893 Robison started to school in Tecumseh and in 1896 taught his first school north of Sacred Heart. For that three-month term Robison received $30 a month, which shocked people because it was $5 a month high. He later became principal of Tecumseh high school. In 1907 Robison was elected superintendent of schools and held that job until 1913 when he became superintendent of schools at Wewoka. During his term in the county superintendent's office, Robison studied law. Then after serving a half year as superintendent of Tecumseh high school, resigned to become assistant county attorney in 1915. He was admitted to the bar in 1913.
Robison began the practice of law in 1917, and was elected county judge in 1918, serving until 1923. Since that time he has been in private law practice. Robison was mayor of Tecumseh in 1919, and has been a member of the school board for 12 years.
Coopers--In 1905 J. M. Cooper established his first second-hand store near the old Tecumseh State bank, which stood back of the Willis garage. In 1910 Cooper bought the Sam Mitchell second-hand furniture store on South Broadway, and moved his stock to that location. Five, years later he acquired the Clinkscales undertaking and furniture business which was in the present Cooper building. The stock was moved to the second-hand store, then in 1923 Cooper bought the Richardson furniture store which was located in the present Boyd grocery building. The present location was remodeled in 1927 and the Richardson stock moved there. The firm continued to handle second-hand furniture from the South Broadway store.
Virgil Cooper has been manager of the furniture and undertaking business since 1924. Virgil attended the Williams School of Embalming at Kansas City, served an apprenticeship at EI Reno, then returned in 192,7. Lynn went to the Kansas City school in 1934 and is now assistant manager.
Parker Nursery and Orchard Co.--In the fall of 1899 Jim Parker delivered his first order of trees to Tecumseh from his Dutton, Ark., nursery. The next year he shipped $1,500 worth of stock to a sales yard on the north side of the square. After a fire destroyed his stock, Parker returned to Arkansas to work as a salesman. In November of that same year Parker returned to live in Tecumseh, later moving to Shawnee to obtain better transportation facilities. In 1907 when he was ready to plant a quarter million apple grafts and grow nursery stock in a big way, he learned that good lands could not be secured on long-term rentals near Shawnee, so he purchased the tract on the west side of Tecumseh.
Parker's apple tree business grew from 600,000 to a planting of two million grafts and fifty bushels of seed in 1911. During that year he grew more apple trees than any other firm in the nation, working under contract with firms in Nebraska, Iowa and Colorado. Many of the apples shipped from the west today come from Parker trees.
In 1904 Parker planted 40,000 Elberta peach trees on crop contract, and in the season of 1912 shipped 46 cars of peaches, mostly from crop contract orchards.
Since then he has given his entire time to the nursery business, writing a number of bulletins on fruit growing. In 1930 he published a 300 page book on “How to Grow Fruits and Flowers.”
Morgan's Pharmacy--In 1908 John and Criss Morgan came to Tecumseh from Missouri and opened a drug store. John was graduated from the St. Louis College of Pharmacy in 1905. In 1910 the firm obtained a Rexall agency, and in 1915, of all things, they installed one of Tecumseh's first gas pumps. This goes to show there's nothing new under the sun. Twenty years ago Morgan's offered curb service and a greater variety of goods than the modern drug store holds. The pump was removed a few months later because there weren't enough cars to buy the gasoline before it could evaporate. John has carried on the business since the death of Criss in 1921.
First thing settlers in the Earlsboro district thought about doing after they had thrown up shelter on their quarter sections was to get a road through to the county seat. H. Barrett and his neighbors got together started chunking rocks into the low places and dragging trees out with their oxen. “The first bridge was over Briar creek,” Barrett remembers. “We put a sight of work on that thing before we got it strong enough to hold a heavy wagon. You see we had to haul cotton to Norman.”
Shortly after the opening Lum Turner, who had staked near the Seminole line, south of the present Earlsboro site, filed application for a post office. He named it Lum, but the post office department couldn't read his writing, and so called it Tum. Turner carried the mail from Tecumseh on foot until Earlsboro itself was started when the Choctaw was built through.
J. A. Melton and Tom B. Fessenger platted out sections of their farm, and that year filed the Earlsboro townsite. For a time the settlement was called Boom-De-Ay, as in the famous song, then the name was changed to honor a Choctaw railroad official.
The first bale of cotton raised in this part of the county was an accident.
Barrett had bought too much cottonseed for his cattle, and his wife began to nag him about the pile in the yard. Finally one day he could stand it no longer and so took the seeds out in the field and broadcast them.
With no cultivation, these seeds sprouted into 2,800 pounds of cotton that fall. The next year the people, who were undecided about whether to grow cotton or wheat, followed Barrett's lead in the cotton business.
Early merchants in Earlsboro included Eugene Arnett, Homer Knight and Scott Barker in the saloon business, and W. H. Starks. Mr. and Mrs. DeVault had kept a store at the Tum post office.
Another early settler in this district was Robert R. Hendon, who came here in 1892 from Ardmore. The family settled three and a half miles southwest of Earlsboro and built the stone house on one of the highest spots in the county. It was a landmark for years. Hendon was elected to the legislature in 1912, then in 1914 moved to Earlsboro. Most of Hendon's children still are active in the county. Claude and Scott are prominent Shawnee lawyers.
* * * * * *
St. Louis is a unique town. Like Topsy, it just grew. A few years after the opening John Bennett bought a part of the J. R. Simpson farm on the north side of the road and built a store. That is the only planning the town ever had. Others followed with blacksmith shops and other stores, but no one ever thought of platting a townsite or electing a mayor or anything. Some bought from the W. S. Carson acreage on the south side of the road. In 1911 the town had two cotton gins, a grist mill, blacksmith shop, general stores, no post office, and a well in the middle of the road.
* * * * * *
For some time George Cash had been operating a general store on his farm in the southeastern part of the county, and in 1896 decided to apply for a post office. He called it Maud in honor of a sister of Mrs. P. H. Cooper. The Coopers were married that year and soon took charge of the post office, which they operated for 14 years.
Early in 1903 two promoters, Challen Spinning and George Northrup, came to survey the Maud townsite. The town was laid out on the railroad that was being built from Ada, and was a mile northeast of Cooper's post office. Among the early birds was C. B. Billington, who had come from Tecumseh with a load of lumber which he stacked on the edge of the townsite, all ready to move in and start a lumber yard.
When the town was opened the promoters tried to get Mrs. Cooper to move her post office to the townsite. A contract with a star route carrier from Earlsboro however kept the post office where it was until the rail service was inaugurated a few months later.
Maud was the first “wet” town on the new railroad which ran into Indian Territory, and enjoyed its saloon prosperity. All this in spite of the fact that the Coopers fought bitterly every move to expand the liquor business and had refused to allow saloons near their old post office.
Billington moved into the town the first day and started building up his quarter block. Soon J. C. Green moved to Maud from Tecumseh, where he had been since 1894. Green built a large home on the outskirts of town, became a successful farmer and horse trader, and later became interested in the Farmers Lumber Company, the First National and the Maud State banks.
In 1905 the struggling young town got its first setback when a fire wiped out most of the business district. Slowly the town built back. Green threw up the first brick structure. By 1910 the citizens had voted sufficient waterworks bonds to insure fire protection.
Other early day Maud leaders include Sam F. Bailey, young school teacher at Remus who moved to Maud to become its first teacher; J. W. Maxwell, the first lawyer; Dr. Allen Bell, first physician, and R. A. Ogee, Sr., the first undertaker, who kept his supply of coffins in the barn on his farm.
Maud rocked along through the years, enjoyed its position in the center of a large trade area, and by 1926 had a population of 1,500.
From Wanette and Sacred Heart, earliest settlements in south Pottawatomie county, pioneers began to branch out to establish other trading points in the area.
The first months after the opening found settlers in the Avoca community busy clearing land, building roads and hauling supplies from Purcell. The summer of 1892 Avoca's first school was established near what is now the Avoca cemetery. Early day teachers include J. C. Fisher, B. C. Klepper, A. Floyd, F. M. Forston, Nora Kidd, Minnie Synder, A. C. Bray and Wheeler Hendon. 1
In the fall of 1892 a post office was located three miles northwest of Avoca and called Adell, honoring Adele Bowles of the community. The next year the town of Avoca was started with R. Perkins opening the first general store. Other establishments followed and soon the place was a beehive of activity. Mrs. S. T. Bess was the first postmistress. Rutherford and J. b. Buckler built a cotton gin. M. F. Merrill started a blacksmith shop. Establishment of the town of Avoca was a natural development, since the clear, sparkling Wewoka Springs had been a stopping place for travelers before the opening,
This settlement prospered until the winter of 1901 when the Rock Island construction from Shawnee started the Asher to townsite boom. Green Perkins remembers that George McCurrey, postmaster at Avoca, loaded up the office one night and opened the next day in Asher. A new post office was established in Avoca which was finally closed in 1906.
* * * * *
Probably no other townsite in Pottawatomie County was opened with as such ballyhoo and fanfare as Asher. G. M. Asher, A. B. and W. C. Jones, promoters of Asher townsite, employed Graham Burnham, a free lance newspaper writer living in the community, to do the publicity work. Beautifully descriptive stories appeared in Kansas City and St. Louis newspapers. The new railroad, the large trade area, and the possibility of a direct connection with Indian Territory across the river were played up. Result was, when the townsite was opened October 30, 1901, the group of eager pioneers included men from all over the country, with many from Shawnee and Oklahoma City, and one from as far away as Chicago.
The first family on the ground was that of J. W. Bristow, who started a restaurant. The first buildings housed the Jim Duncan general store, the Sam Pearce blacksmith shop, the Gloyd lumber office, the Canadian Valley and Asher State banks, the Mammoth store, promoted by Shawnee men and later sold to Scott' and Hampton, who turned it later to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Atkins.
Among the town's first industries were a brick plant operated by the Bobiers, a sawmill near the depot owned by Estes, and a gin built by Tom Lovelady. The first drug store was opened by Charlie Pottinger and J. M. Remington, both of Shawnee. The first furniture store was that of Pickens and Snider. Snider, who had been the first jeweler m the county at Tecumseh, was in charge of that end of the Asher business. Walker Olds opened his newspaper plant and began publishing the Asher Altruist.
A four room school house was soon built in the north part of town, with Theodore Shackelford as superintendent. Since then two new buildings have been constructed, and two districts have been consolidated with the Asher school.
The first church in Asher, the First Baptist, had its origin as an interdenominational church at Avoca. Rev. William Lowther was the first minister. Among the first Baptist members were the T. S. Prices, Harry Scotts, Hamptons, and Hookers.
Next was the First Methodist, organized by F. M. Forston, Dixie Hazlewood, the Umphenhours, M. W. James, the Snoots, Rawlings and others. Asher’s third church was the Church of Christ.
The town soon became a center of baseball interest. Manager Frank Walker sent the fame of the Asher Indians far and wide. Both Waner boys, now in the big league, played for a time on the Asher diamond.
Asher had many small fires in the early years, but in 1922 two blocks of the best business houses went up in flames. This was a strong blow for a town that hah fought an uphill battle since its much publicized opening. The railroad into Indian Territory failed to materialize, and even a highway bridge was long in coming. Construction of the Highway 18 Bridge served to offset the fire loss. Since that time Asher's valiant citizens have had their hands full keeping the ravenous South Canadian from eating away their precious bridge.
1. Avoca data from Green Perkins.
* * * * * *
These county pioneers who had grown to love the peace and contentment of life in their small towns, were unexpectedly knocked from their easy chairs in 192:6 by what might be called a tremendous explosion. At least that was the effect.
Earlsboro felt the detonation first. The oil field with all its gold and all its sin was at the door. Overnight oil magic made worthless lots valuable. Old shacks brought high rents. Others were built. Then as the din and excitement settled down to a steady buzz of activity permanent buildings were thrown up. The city saddled itself with a huge debt to build five and a half blocks or pavement, a $225,000 waterworks plant, and a $14,000 gym. In 1936 the town had settled back to pre-oil status with a sickening hangover from the big jag, the highest tax rate in the county.
The country community of St. Louis rocked with excitement when the John Standridge gusher blew in near the town. Garages were turned into bedrooms. Tents occupied every available space. Later the town that had existed for years was incorporated, in 1928, and a post office was built. Soon the town had water, gas and lights. Oil gold built a modern high school. And today, St. Louis is still the unique town. With a $50,000 monthly payroll, the place has no hotel, only two patches of sidewalk, and a few stone buildings, but the well in the middle of the road has been taken out.
Maud repeated the story, only on a more elaborate scale. Oil pushed the town of 1,500 into the 10,000 class. The business district that had originally been all in Pottawatomie County, extended across the county line. J. C. Green, who had sworn he would never sell the acreage surrounding his country home, finally yielded to pressure and added two Green additions to the town. The boom had reached Maud more gradually from the east and so by the time the St. Louis and Maud fields really got underway, Maud was adding new homes, new buildings, a new high school and gym, stately churches, an ice plant and a larger telephone building. Like Earlsboro, Maud has a little hangover. The end of the boom coincided with the start of the depression, and many buildings were left vacant. But today the town is prospering with the large trade area it has always enjoyed, plus the trade from a still active oil field.
Last of Pottawatomie county towns to feel the magic touch of oil was Asher. Here the same story was enacted, with oil bringing prosperity, new people, new buildings. Overnight the quiet town was transformed into a roaring oil city. The peak of the boom passed long ago, but Asher still derives a great deal of its business from continued oil activity, especially in the Asher- Wanette district.
SANTA FE TOWNS
When Santa Fe engineers went through the county mapping their proposed railroad, they found Burnett, Moral and old Wanette thriving communities in the southwestern section.
After Burnett came in a slow second in the county seat contest, the town had settled down to become a good country trading town. The first school was built from $200 saloon licenses assessed by the commission. Bill Wesselhoft was named the town's first mayor and Elza Klinglesmtth opened a grocery store. Others moved in to boost the population of Bill Griffenstein's young city.
A few miles to the south Brooks Walker picked a sandy crossroads for his store and in 1894 opened a post office and called it Moral because he allowed no saloons in town. Moral once had two busy doctors, two general stores, a hotel and numerous business houses. Principal occupation of the citizens is said to have been the catching of squirrels for Kansas City and St. Louis parks.
When the construction crew arrived they changed this picture, just as they did everywhere they brought their rails and ties. Burnett picked up and moved to become Macomb. Moral moved three miles north and a mile west to become Tribbey, W. B. Trousdale and his family established Trousdale in 1904, a few miles south of Tribbey and Wanette moved north to meet the newcomer.
Principal drawing cards of Trousdale, Tribbey and Macomb today are their first rate consolidated schools. Tribbey's school was one of the few operating the full nine months in 1934, due largely to support from the pipeline pumping station located in the district.
Forty years ago Norman W. Paine was a student in the Trousdale School. Paine is now serving his third term as superintendent of the Trousdale system. Highlight of this term has been construction of a $10,000, four room grade building through government aid. Trousdale became a union graded school in 1919, comprising four districts. In 1936 the high school had 5·6 students, and the district showed a total school enumeration of 234.
* * * * * *
The town of Wanette probably has had more locations and more names than any other settlement in the state. First, in 1874, it became Clardyville, or Pleasant Prairie, near the present site of the Wanette cemetery. In 1876 J. W. Clinton succeeded Mrs. Isabel A. Clardy as postmaster, and the place was moved two miles north and four miles west of the present Wanette and named Wagosa, according to the story related by Ben Clardy. Then in 1877 Mrs. Trousdale followed Clinton in the post office job, and the place was moved back to the cemetery site and called Oberlin. Later when a more adequate water supply was needed for the cotton gin, the town was moved south 10 become old Wanette, near the Johnsonville crossing, on the Joe Melot alotment.
Construction of the Santa Fe meant another move for the settlement. February 3, 1903, sale of lots began in new Wanette. After the railroad came through the town enjoyed a healthy period when it was a great cotton shipping center, with direct connection with the gulf.
Today the highways have taken away some of its former prestige, but Wanette is still the center of an excellent farming area, and boasts of a $40,000 school plant. The town had the first high school in the south end of the county.
DALE - McLOUD - KEOKUK FALLS
Indian Territory played only a small part in the Civil war, its chief role being that of furnishing 'supplies for the Confederacy. The only known encounter that occurred in this part of the territory took place on the ridge due east of Dale across the river.
The story, as told to C. C. Patton of Dale, by Union veteran Tom Whipple, is that a troop of Confederate soldiers had been foraging through this country for some time. Union troops got orders to march double-quick and rout the enemy. At the crack of dawn the northern soldiers, including Whipple, arrived at the ridge where the southern troops were preparing breakfast. Taken by surprise, the Confederates tried to defend their position, but were quickly routed and sent scampering southward. Earthworks are still visible on the ridge.
The community that was to be known later as Dale figured next in our history when a post office was established and called King, for Indian John King on whose ranch it was located. G. A. Newsom was the first postmaster.
Later the post office was moved to a location south of the present city or Dale where Mrs. W. M. Kennedy became the postmistress. The coming of the Choctaw presaged another move for the settlement, this time to the present site. G. W. Hitt, J. C. Schaless, John Brusha and R. D. Vaughn plotted the townstte, on quite a pretentious scale. But they didn't get the settlement without a fight. A few miles north of their site, Mike Seikel had laid out his own townsite and called it Dale. When Seikel saw he had the losing side, he relinquished the name to his rivals.
It was Mrs. Kennedy who wrote an interesting chapter in Dale history when she defied the railroad construction crew with the family shotgun and stubborn determination. The road had failed to close negotiations for a right-of-way across the Kennedy farm. And so during the night this pioneer woman moved her cabin onto the right-of-way, built a fence around it, and held the “furriners” off until they paid up.
Dale has enjoyed a quiet history, with no murders and no fatal accidents within the city limits. Only the occasional rampages of the river have broken the quiet contentment of the town. Its outstanding institution is the consolidated school with an average daily attendance of 320. The school became consolidated in 1915. One of the members of the school board then was Joe Seikel, successful Dale farmer, who had the first contract for transporting pupils from “across the river.” Seikel used wagons and teams before trucks were installed.
The Seikel farm north of Dale is one of the best in the area, being made up mostly of rich bottom land valuable for alfalfa, hogs and chickens.
* * * * * *
A few miles up the right-of-way from Dale, the Choctaw gave birth to another town, called McLoud for John McLoud, railroad attorney.
Early maps show a Kickapoo city located on a trail through this country from Muskogee, and in the approximate location of old McLoud, across the river in the Kickapoo country. When the Choctaw started building through the country, the village by the river was quite a settlement. The low ground however was undesirable, and it became imperative to move to the railroad. So the citizens picked up and came across.
Promoters of the move and the townsite committee that laid out new McLoud, included Ed Kelly, John W. Moyle, C. M. Webb and Leander G. Pitman. 1 The first census showed 787 citizens, and the 1930 census gave a population of 812, showing that McLoud has held her own during times when most small towns have dwindled to nothing. This modern small town is the trade center of a prosperous agricultural section. Top educational facilities are offered in the consolidated school.
* * * * * *
In the days before statehood all-powerful railroads changed maps and altered destinies. They built towns and killed towns. They built Dale and McLoud and killed Keokuk Falls, once proud city of the Pottawatomie panhandle.
The town was named for Keokuk Falls on the North Canadian River, which in turn was named for Moses Keokuk, Sac and Fox chief whose allotment adjoined the falls. The town came into existence the opening day with Perry Rodkey president of the 'board of trustees, and A. B. Hammer and Walter Fields, members. In 1888 Keokuk had sold his allotment to Henry C. Jones, who became the town's first postmaster.
The first white family in the community was that of W. P. Johnson, who built the Keokuk hotel which was a lunching place for passengers on the early-day Stroud-to-Shawnee bus. Johnson was perhaps the greatest believer in the home place of athlete Jim Thorpe. He continued to buy lots long after everyone else had lost faith, and when the collapse was complete, found himself holding dozens of worthless town lots.
Construction of the Fort Smith and Western through Lincoln County started Keokuk on the down road before the turn of the century. But prior to that the town had boasted a flour mill, whisky distillery, prosperous business section, beautiful falls, and a weekly “Keokuk Call” edited by Mickey McGill. Even the river has walked off and left Keokuk Falls.
This little place that tried so hard to be a town was infamous for its saloon feud, and for the fact that its position on the territorial line offered a favorable hideout for outlaws. But early day residents will testify that the wild character of the town has been overdrawn. Most of its 300 citizens were law abiding, paid their school taxes and went to church every Sunday. Saloon men often taught Sunday school classes.
1. Paper by Jimmy Seikel
Many of the pioneers who opened Pott country in 1891 were looking for good farm land. Once on their quarter sections, they rolled up their sleeves, chopped out the oak trees and put in cotton and other crops. For the first few years the farmers prospered greatly. The virgin soil lavished its fertility on the struggling youngsters.
Then slowly the continual cultivation began to sap the soil's energy. The farmers began to notice their land produced less, but few of them stopped to wonder why.
The two Canadian rivers are known geographically as plains rivers. They are older streams that have cut through the red beds, and have leveled off broad bottomlands. Little river and Salt creek, on the other hand, are young streams of local origin which are cutting deeply in the red beds and causing a great deal of this county's erosion worries. This, coupled with the fact that rainfall increases as you travel southeast in the county, has caused a population shift that leaves great portions of the western and southern areas of this county with less population than in 1908. The west half of the county, the more eroded area, averages 20 rural inhabitants to every square mile, while the eastern part boasts a. rural population of 90 a square mile, almost the largest in the state, and due in a great degree to oil development.
In their eagerness to get land into cultivation these early farmers also cut down hundreds of pecan trees. The ones they left standing bore their fruit and dropped it to waste on the ground. It wasn't until around 1920 that farmers began to realize they'd been destroying and throwing away a valuable asset. Immediately they began to care for their pecan trees and to plant more. Culture has grown until pecans today are one of the two big money crops of the county, alfalfa being the other. County farmers got $125.000 in 1935 for their pecans.
* * * * * *
Pottawatomie County was one of the seven choice agricultural counties in the state picked in 1911 by the Rockefeller foundation for home demonstration work. Each county received $50 monthly to start the work. Mrs. Kib Warren drew the job of getting someone to start the work here. Failing in that, she took over the job herself, though she knew nothing of canning and had never driven a horse before. A few months in class equipped her to sponsor canning activities, then she set out to teach the farm women how to make the most of their gardens.
That year Mrs. Warren organized a number of clubs, six of which really functioned. The New Hope district was especially active. The women experienced some difficulty in carrying on their work. Farmers were afraid the canners might set fire to their barns, and so the women gathered at Mrs. Warren's home in Shawnee to do their work.
At the state fair that fall the Pottawatomie canning exhibit took third prize. No small factor in that victory were the bright red “tomato” labels Mrs. Warren pasted on the jars, the choice position at the entrance to the exhibit building, and the daily re-canning given the kraut that hadn't been put up correctly. In those days the judges didn't taste the food, just looked at it. And so as long they could keep the kraut looking right, everything ran smoothly.
From that time on home demonstration, and later 4-H club work, was gradually expanded. In 1922 the Farm Women's Federation was organized in Shawnee. That year also saw the appointment of Miss Virginia Allen as the first official home demonstration agent. At the end of Mrs. Emma Stewart's term in 1935 there were 35 home demonstration clubs with 700 members, and 30 4-H clubs with an enrollment of 1,003.
In 1929 these farm women led the state contest at Stillwater in individual winners, and Mrs. Joe Seikel, Dale, was named one of five Master Oklahoma Farm Homemakers in a contest sponsored by the Farmer Stockman and the Stillwater extension division. Mrs. Seikel was picked from 600 contestants Because of the versatility of her work. In 1935 Mrs. Seikel became president of the state home demonstration council when that group was organized.
* * * * * *
Poultry and dairying have never figured extensively in Pottawatomie county agriculture, but have always been good side activities. Two cheese plants constructed in Shawnee have done a great deal in the last three years to help the dairy farmer. Poultry farmers were hard hit by the depression, but are gradually beating their way back to the profit side of the ledger, aided greatly by several hatcheries, the largest of which is the Parkin Hatchery on West Main Street in Shawnee.
Parkin first located his hatchery on Mission hill in 1928. He moved to town when fire destroyed his plant in 1929. Parkin started with a 64,000 egg capacity and now has a capacity of 204,000 eggs. The fall of 1935 Parkin included another incubator and completely electrified the plant.
The first few years, Parkin had to ship in most of his eggs from Kansas. Slowly he began to interest farmers in purebred stock, until today he is buying a million eggs a year from 140 local farmers, paying them 8 to 14 cents above the market price.
Parkin was one of the first to begin sexing chicks in 1930. That same year he pioneered in the production of hybrid chicks. Cross-breeding was then still in the experimental stage. But since then cross-breed chicks have proved themselves to be more vigorous. Tests have shown the hybrids have 1.4 per cent mortality the first three weeks, while purebreds have 6.3 per cent.
One well known result of the depression was the Agricultural Adjustment Act with its crop control and subsidies to farmers participating. One of the most active local farmers in this campaign was Raymond Walker, who for two years was president of the county corn-hog program.
Walker has lived on his farm in southeastern Pottawatomie County since 1909 when he came here with his father, W. T. Walker. Walker was for ten years a teacher in county schools, then began devoting his entire time to his 100 white-faced cattle, hogs, and a general balanced farming program. Walker has taken a great interest in pecan culture, grafting nursery stock to all the seedlings that have sprouted on his South Canadian bottomland, and has become a leader in soil conservation work. He is vice-president of the Konawa soil conservation association, and was a field worker under the AAA conservation program.
“The AAA helped in a money way, but the most important gain is the lesson the farmer has learned,” believes Walker. “Their eyes are opened to the value of getting together, The AA.A forced farmers to start keeping records and to check what politicians tell them. It has made businessmen of them.”
Walker sees great possibilities in the new erosion control program, as does his co-worker, County Agent .Tames Lawrence. “The big development in the next ten years or so will be the tuning up of the soil,” Lawrence says. “Soil in this county has lost 50 per cent of its fertility in the last 25 years. Farmers are waking up to the necessity of checking this loss, and the government is coming through with the proper co-operation.”
And so as this book goes to press, Pottawatomie county agriculture stands at the crossroads. For 45 years farmers have taken from the soil with little thought of putting anything back now they’re setting themselves to build their soil to insure future agricultural prosperity.
WHO IS WHO
In Pottawatomie County History
An index of those who have boon or still are active in the many activities that go to make up local history.
ABBOT DUPEROU THOMAS
ABBOT ISIDOHE ROBOT
ABBOT MARK BRAUN
ABERNATHY, G. C.
ADAMS, LOTTIE RAY - From Texas via Indian Terr., 1893. Member pioneer Keokuk Falls family. Began teaching school 1898; taught at McLoud, Tecumseh, Shawnee, Wewoka. Married Henry Adams of Shawnee 1910. Associated with him in Shawnee oil business since 1925.
ARCHER, ALEX M. - From Texas via Ardmore 1893. Born 1854 in Tennessee. Married Fannie Collins 1872. Children are George Edward, William P., Mattie, Roberta, Sam, John Adelaide and Raymond. Settled on farm west of Asher. Built farm from a log cabin in woods to one of most productive and most attractive in neighborhood. Baptist, Democrat, Woodman of the World, Fraternal Union.
ATKINS, ROBERT TOLBER - From Tennessee 1902. Moved from Shawnee to Asher that year. Partner for time of Dr. J. M. Byrum in Remington and Pottinger drug store. Operated hotels at Oklahoma City, Lawton, Konawa, Centrahoma, Fletcher, and Bliss; operated Bruce hotel, Central house and Kentucky hotel at different times in Asher. Atkins was born 1860 at Corinth, Miss.; married Fannie Scott 1881. Walter born 1882, Herbert 1886, Peyton 1888, Paul 1892, Grace 1896. Atkins Methodist, Democrat; Mrs. Atkins First Christian.
ATKINS, WALTER - Son of R. T. Atkins, civic booster before and during oil boom. For years member city council, school board, commercial club. In early days worked in first stores in Asher, later owned his own. Married Emilee Hooker 1908. Phil Hooker born 1913, Jackque Lee 1917. Mrs. Atkins first telephone operator in Asher operated the first beauty parlor in town with only a pair of curling tongs. She now operates an up-to-date establishment in Wewoka. Atkins manager of Wewoka J. C. Jones store
BARKER, MRS. STELLA - From Texas in 1897. Born 1876 at Webb City, Ark. Daughter of Alexander Clevenger. Married 'V. C. Barker 1898. One son, George, born 18S9. Baptist, Republican, past matron of Tecumseh chapter No. 30, O. E. S.
BARTON, D. O. - From Texas 1901. Lived in Brown vicinity until 1921 when he moved to Shawnee. Deputy sheriff under Grover Butler for f our years ; member Shawnee police force two years; deputy under Sheriff Bill Roberts four years; deputy under Sheriff Walter Mosier
BASSON, SALLIE - From Texas 1903. Married T. S. Bason of Hill county, Texas. Minnie O. born 1882, J. W. 1886, Ed J. 1901. Bason was expert cotton farmer. Later operated shoe shop, which his wife continued to operate for a time after his death in 1923. Mrs. Bason has attended Baptist services continually for 20 years.
BEATY, D. N. - Keokuk feud.
BENSON, CHARLES J.
BERRY, LAVELLE - To Konawa from Arkansas. Miss Berry was born 1911 at Springfield, Ark. Education at Konawa, Oklahoma College for Women. Bethany Peniel, and East Central, pecializing in music. Teacher in Asher schools 1932.
BILLINGTON, C. B. - Came to Tecumseh in 1901, moved to pioneer at Maud opening 1903. Spent 1915 in Tecumseh, returned to Maud, then moved to Shawnee 1920. Once operated lumber yards at Tecumseh, Macomb, Tribbey and Maud. Active in early Maud business, in drilling first oil well in county and still active oil man.
BOYD, LON - From Arkansas in 1900 with father, H. J. Boyd. Married Lucille Copeland 1913. Lon Jr. born 1914, Mary Lucille 1919. Mason, Modern Woodman of America, Democrat, Methodist, Commercial club.
BOYD, LON JR. - Son of Lon. Graduated Tecumseh high school 1932. Teaching in Tecumseh public schools after two and half years at East Central Married Dorothye Gray November 1935.
BROWDER, A. L. - From Alabama in 1907. Born 1885 in Alabama. Married Ida Coleman 1910, daughter of pioneer family east of Asher. Lubie born 1912, Rosetta 1911. Browder has been Asher business man for last ten years. Brother, Bailey Browder, was killed while attempting to halt robbery of the Canadian Valley bank.
BUCKLER-J. B. - From Kentucky in 1891. With partner named Rutherford, built first gin at what became Avoca. Perkins family nearest neighbors at time. Trustee of Avoca township for 15 years. Born 1863 at Owensboro, Ky. Married Dosia Edgmon 1888. Children Nora Bell, now Mrs. John McClure, Nola. now Mrs. A. E. Herndon, and Claud all of Asher.
BURNETT, JOHN H. - From Iowa to Shawnee 1892. Father, G. S. Burnett, donated team to build grade for Shawnee Tecumseh railroad He had operated a "hack" line from Shawnee to Tecumseh. When railroad opened, started Burnett Transfer Co. John H. Burnett had first job carrying mail on horseback between Tecumseh and Moore. For three trips a week he received $10 a month. Made runs into Cherokee Strip and Kickapoo country, then got allotment in Comanche country. 1901 went to work for Choctaw railroad in Shawnee. Shawnee's first Chief of Detectives. 1907 became special agent for Rock Island. In became chief special agent of a district with headquarters in El Reno. Married Iva Collins 1908. Martha Lucille only daughter. Active in Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association of Oklahoma.
BUTLER, MRS. GROVER C. - From Kansas 1893. Daughter of Oliver W. Grimwood, born 1867 at Mt. Vernon. Ohio. Married Grover C. Butler 1906. Grover C. born 1884, Pulaski, Tenn., came to Brown community 1892. County sheriff 1921-25. Tecumseh chief of police 192832 when he was killed while in line of duty. Children A. Glenn, G. Wilson, F. Grimwood.
BYRUM, J. KNOX
CADE. CASH M.
COLVERT, DR. GEORGE W. - Pioneer Tecumseh doctor. Married Lila Gould Culbertson 1910.
COOPER, J. LYNN - Member Cooper Furniture and Undertaking firm. Educated Tecumseh public schools and Williams School of Embalming, Kansas City.
COOPER, JAMES McDONALD - From Arkansas 1904. Born 1882 in Arkansas. Married Delia Boyd 1899. Three sons: Virgil, Lynn, H. J. Established what is now Cooper Furniture and Undertaking Co. 1905. Presbyterian.
COOPER, JUDGE LEROY
COOPER, P. H.
COOPER, VIRGIL McDONALD - Born Tecumseh. 1905. Graduate Tecumseh high school and Williams School of Embalming. Kansas City. Two years apprenticeship Wilson Mortuary at El Reno and Mrs. C. L. Forster Funeral Home, .Kansas City. Manager Cooper Furniture and Undertaking Co. Married Mickey Morton 1929. Children: Jeannine and Bobby .Jim. Presbyterian. A. F. & A. M., M. Y. A., Chamber Commerce.
COPPAGE, MRS. VIOLA CHAMBLEE - Married Orner Dodson Coppage 1896. Children: Julia Marie, Celia Dodson. Arrived Pott. County 1917. Business and Professional Women's club, Daughters of the Confederacy, member guardian Woodman Circle 1934. Reporter Woodman Circle 1936, member executive board American Legion Auxiliary 1934. Christian, Democrat, director WP A sewing room Shawnee, 1936.
DRAKE, J. V. - Came to Tecumseh in early years, operated oil mill for 25 years. Mrs. Drake active club woman and writer.
DURHAM, MRS. LOLA C., founder Tecumseh high school alumni association. Ed Bason is head of the state Industrial commission.
EDWARDS, FOY - Born Lincoln county 1903, son of William Thomas and Essie Edwards. Educated public schools Tecumseh, Indianola business college, Oklahoma A. and M. college. Married Grace V. Rowell 1934. One son, Thomas Foy Edwards, Lawyer, Mason, Methodist, Democrat.
ENLOW, ESTER M. - From Wisconsin via Indian Terr. 1898. Born 1858 in Wisconsin. Married Sol Enlow 1887 in Indian Terr. Children: Davis, Hugh, Champ, Myrtle, Edith, Edwina. After Enlow's death, Mrs. Enlow moved near Tecumseh. After living in Shawnee for time moved to Asher. Disposed of property during boom, now living at Wardville. Okla.
ESTES, E. L
ESTES, W. C.
FENN, TAMES ARTHUR - From Kansas in 1892. Born 1871 in Missouri. Married Joanna Mae Dwelle 1896. Educated Kansas public schools, University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma A. and M. College. Odd Fellow, former Republican now Democrat, active in Boy Scout leadership. Residence Norman.
FLEET, REV. W. L. –I n church service here 35 years. Arrived 1898 south of Earlsboro. Organized and built Church of Christ in Tecumseh in 1924. Started ministerial work in 1913, and in 1915 became missionary, helping in church construction. Became full pastor Tecumseh church 1926.
FLEET, ROBERT FRANK - Son of Rev. and Mrs. Y. L. Fleet, born Maud 1902. Married 1925 to Theodocia Guilliams, daughter J. A. Guilliams. Both graduated Tecumseh high school, attended Oklahoma University. Robert Van born 1927, Donald Frank 1931. Residence 1936 Claremore.
FORD, J. LLOYD
FORTSON, DR. J. L. - From Texas via Indian Terr. 1913. Born in Louisiana, educated Marshall, Tex., public schools, Baylor University, University of Texas and Tulane. Married Gertrude Vaughan 1911. Children: John Lake, Vaughan, Elizabeth. Now active doctor at Tecumeh. Democrat, Mason, Presbyterian.
FORTSON, DR. T. L.
FORTSON, ELIZABETH RICHARDSON - Born 1867 in Texas. Educated Louisiana public schools, Keachi college, Keachi, La., Louisiana State Normal at Natchitoches. Taught school in Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma. Moved to Tecumseh 1935. Democrat, Baptist
FOSTER, A. T.
FOWLER, D. C.
FOX, FRANK - From Cherokee nation 1892. Born March 10 that year. Married Alta Pittman 1914. Jack 1920, Cleta Joy 1929. Mrs. Fox born Pott. County 1895. Fox was sheriff 1924-28.
FUNK, MRS. R. V.
GERRER, FATHER GREGORY
GETTYS, T. W. - From Kansas 1891. In 1884 married Miss Marvilla Carson while in Kansas. Children: Claude, Mabel, Marvilla. Charles. Deputy Sheriff under W. B. Trousdale. Residence, Sheridan, Wyoming.
GOREE. TOM - From Texas via Indian Terr. 1916. Deputy court clerk.
HATFIELD, JOHN, P.
HAWKINS, MRS. LUCY FALMER - Born Troy, Alabama, married J. C. Hawkins there. Educated Wesleyan Music College at Mason, Georgia, University of Oklahoma, Scared Bible school in Kansas City, Ellenberg Music Studio, Montgomery, Ala. Taught in Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma. Employed at Industrial School for Girls at Tecumseh, then moved to Asher to become primary teacher
HENDERSON, M. M.
HENDON, ROBERT R. - From Texas via Indian Terr. 1892. Settled on famous Hendon place southwest Earlsboro. Hendon active in county affairs until death in 1929, serving in the 1912 state legislature. Mrs. Hendon died 1933. Children: V. B. 1883, Lillie 1885, Scott 1887, Claude 1891, Robert 1894, Bryan 1896, Emily 1889, Sallie 1898, Gordon 1901, Easterbelle 1904, Lottie 1906, Catherine 1908
HEY, ROSCOE E. - From Kansas to Tecumseh 1925. Born 1893. Educated Kansas State Agriculture college, receiving electrician's diploma in 1920. Married Cecil C. Goodell of Tecumseh, Kan., 1918. Children: Wendell C., Marvin Roscoe, Lester T., Maxine (died in infancy), Enuna Lou and Anna Marie. Methodist, American Legion.
HIBBARD, J. G. - From Arkansas 1892. Born 1845. Married Flora Morris 1881. Minnie born 1882, J. Robert 1886, S. L. born 1896, Arthur Lee 1900, James M. 1903. Baptist, Republican. Eight years Asher postmaster. Family active in Asher affairs
HIGH, MRS. SARAH C. E. - Married William L. High 1896 in Kansas. Children: Mary (died in infancy), Clarence Emory (deceased), William R. Mr. and Mrs. High moved to Shawnee in 1899. Presbyterian. Eastern Star, American Legion Auxiliary, 'V. C. T. U. pioneer.
HOERLEIN, MRS. J. -Daughter of William R. Nichols and Mary E. Boy kin Nichols who came to this county in 1892. Their children: Edward H. 1875, Nathaniel 1880, Ernest 1886, J. Aaron 1894: Ralph E. 1896, Florence 1877, Pernie 1878, Maud 1882, Cordie 1884, Celia Janie (Mrs. Hoerlein) 1889. W, R. Nichols was a charter member of Shawnee First Methodist church, dairyman, farmer, and restaurant operator. Died 1899.
HOPKINS, HOLBERT THOMAS - Born in Mississippi. Education at Freed Hardeman College in Tennessee, East Central, Ada. Married Ollie Pearl Coleman 1916. Agnes Juanita born 1918, Tolber Tyson 1921. Came to Asher from Mississippi 1920. Church of Christ, Democrat, Mason. Chairman Asher city council 16 years, now city clerk Principal Asher high school
HUNTER, B. H.
HUNTER, GEO. K.
JOHNSON, C. W.
JOHNSON, IDA - Born 1874. Married Bernhard Bollman (born in Minnesota 1865) 1898. Children: Sophia C. 1900, (married to Troy G. Garrett 1927), Bernhard F. Bollman 1908, (married to Margaret Critz 1935.
JOHNSON, JACOB - Born Washington, D. C., 1823. Married Sophie Viewx at Indianola, Kan. (now Topeka) in 1856. Children: Rachel Johnson Hale, Richard, Loren, Andrew, Sadie Johnson Goulette, Ida .J. Bollman, Emma J. Goulette, David, Katie J. Craig, Syrphine, James, and Jacob.
JOHNSON, W. P.
JORDAN, REV. M. - From Alabama 1891. Born 1872. Homesteaded in Cleveland County. Ordained as Baptist minister 1900. Preached, held funerals, married people over wide area. 1907 moved to Tecumseh. Advocated good roads during his term as county commissioner. Married 1892 to Nellie Newton Saxby. Democrat, moderator of Friendship Baptist Association for years. Children: Everett Miles, Carrie Lee Jordan Borwell, Goldie Linna Jordan Brooks, Rosa Maye Jordan Thomas.
KELLOGG, L. E. - From Illinois to Tecumseh 1900. Born 1893. Educated Tecumseh schools. Married Gillie Lee Kellogg 1917. Children: Dorothy Lee, Doris Allene, J. E. Jr. Charlie L. Cole and Mollie A. Cole wife's parents. Democrat, Methodist, Odd Fellow. Connected with Wood & Co., Shawnee, since 1923. Residence, Tecumseh.
KERFOOT, GEORGE H
KING, O. C. - Born 1897 in Missouri. son of Joe and Clara King. Came to Oklahoma from Texas 1904. Married Polly A. Taylor 1923, daughter McClain and Idunia Taylor. Mason, O. E. S Elk, Christian, Democrat. One son, Richard McClain, born 1924. County treasurer 1931-35
KLAPP, MRS. MARY M.
KNIGHT. C. A. - Arrived in county 1910 to become active in law and insurance. Member 1919 state legislature. Tecumseh postmaster beginning 1934. Mrs. Knight national president of P. E. O. 1931-1933. national organizer 1925-27. She is the only woman in the southwest or south to hold the president's chair.
LARSH, S. P.
LAZEKBY, MRS. WALTER - Mary Hervey Lazenby. Daughter of F. P. and Rachel Hervey, born 1868 in Arkansas. Married Walter Lazenby 1892. Children: Rachel, now Mrs. William McLelland, Hervey Lewis, Walter Jr. and William Preston. Resident of Shawnee since 1902. Southern Presbyterian, Democrat, Pottawatomie County Historical society, Daughter of the Confederacy, Daughters of the American Revolution.
LAZENBY, HERVEY - Born 1895 in Arkansas. Educated in Shawnee schools. Married Bondeline Bishop 1916. She was born at Bonham, Tex., 1895. Southern Presbyterian.
LISLE, A. C. - Graduated from University of Oklahoma School of pharmacy 1917. After the war bought in Williams Lisle drug store at McLoud, which he still operates. Member county excise board 1936.
LOVIN, C. H. - Born 1893 near Davis. Okla., son of Rev. J. H. and Annie Lovin. Moved to this county 1901, locating west of Maud. Educated Ray school, Maud schools and O. B. U. 1914 married Una Rye. Geraldine born 1916, Gladys 1917, Robert 1920. Charles Rye 1929. Democrat. Shrine. Missionary Baptist church.
LOWTHER, HENRY H. - Born 1859 in Canada, son of Rev. W. D. Lowther and Hannah Hserni.lton. From Pauls Valley to this county 1905. Married Catherine Christine McMahon in Kansas 1890. Children: Dixon (Word war fatality), Albert A., Annie May. Baptist, Democrat. Albert is pastor of Baptist church at Oilton. Educated at East Central and O. B. D., had first charge at Davenport. Ordained 1934, he was called to Bowlegs, then went to Oilton.
LOWTHER, WILLIAM J. - Born 1867 in Canada, son of Rev. W. D. Lowther. Educated Paoli. Kan. Came to county 1901 from Pauls Valley. Married that year to Elzia Rebecca Wood of Asher, whose parents were J. H. and Mary A. Woods. Children: Jennie, William C. Winnie. Baptist. Democrat.
LUTTRELL, HOMER H. - Born 1909, Lamar, Okla., son of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Luttrell. Came to this county in 1916. Educated at Norman high school and University of Oklahoma (1928). Married Consuello Severe 1931, who received her degree from East Central, 1932. Yvonne La Vene born 1934, Ramona Lou Ann, 1936. Democrat, consulting geologist.
MAJORS, ISOM E. - Born 1877 Tennessee. Came to Asher 1905. Married Charlotte Jane Weldon. Carrie Myrtle born 1898. She married Roy Cox. Cox is civic leader and active attorney at Blackwell. Mr. and Mrs. Isom Majors have been closely associated with rural people the last twenty years. Majors was for many years a prominent produce dealer. Since 1934 he has been associated 'with Mrs. Majors in rural circulation work for the Shawnee News Star. Majors began working for the The News in 1920. She is now manager of rural circulation in the south Pottawatomie county area.
MALONE, PATRICK B. - From Iowa in 1892. Lived at Tecumseh for time. then moved to farm northeast of - Tecumseh where he still resides. Born 1882 in Illinois. son of James and Anna Malone. Educated rural schools of this county. Sacred Heart, St. Benedict's school in Shawnee. Married Ethel Williams 1930, daughter of Owen and Sarah Williams. Employed state board agriculture 191011. Road and bridge construction work in this county 1912-14. Undersheriff for Fred Romberg 1915-16. 1919-21 again with State Agricultural board. 1923-31 road construction for county. 1936 is jailer under Sheriff V. C. Mosier.
McBRIDE, J. T. - Born 1886. Son of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. McBride. Came to county in 1891 from Arkansas. Married 1908 to Edna Cawthon, daughter of S. H. Cawthon. Ethel born 1910, Edythe 1912. Lois 1919, Josie Mae 1921. Jimmie Jr., 1923. Democrat, Odd Fellows
McGINNIS, G. E.
MEYER, ROBERT J. - Son of Rev. and Mrs. William Meyer, born at Tecumseh in 1893. Married Birdie L. Oliver 1929. Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Oliver. Children: Norma Jeanne, Donald elbert. Presbyterian, Republican.
MILLER, HOOKIE, and The Corner
MORRELL, MRS. BEATRICE HAGGARD - Born 1903 in Cleveland County. Came to this county when three months old. Graduate Macomb high school, student at East Central. Married Howard V. Morrell 1924 at Los Angeles. Democrat, Christian Science. She and her husband have been in business at Corona. Calif., since 1926.
MOSIER, W. C.
NEGAHNQUET, STEPHEN - Born 1853 near Topeka, Kan. Caine with father when Pottawatomie moved in 1870s. Stephen's father influential in getting Benedictine fathers to establish Sacred Heart. After Stephen the elder died, his son carried on, becoming influential in tribal affairs. Member committee Citizens Band of Pottawatomie for years, member first state legislature. Many oil welts brought in on place near Asher. Died April 24, 1936, at Davis. Children: Joe, Albert, Tom, Al and Steve, Katherine Seabolt and Rosie Phillips.
NISBETT. DR. B. F. - Homesteaded near Trousdale 1891. Moved to Tecumseh 1909. Made Cherokee Strip run 1893, then returned. Educated Vanderbilt. Member 6th and 7th territorial legislatures, state legislature in 1912. A factor in developing county's first oil play. Wife, Carrie Lee Nisbett. Children: Mrs. Claine Hoole. Earlsboro; Mrs. Sue Poplin, Seminole; Mrs. Banner Combs, Duncan; Martha and Henry, Tecumseh; and Tom, Oklahoma City.
PAINE, CHARLES RAYMOND (Andy) -Born near Tribbey 1910. Educated McClain schools, Trousdale high school, Rosedale high school, East Central, O. U. Grade principal and coach Elmore City two years. Teacher Washington high school two years. Now at Elmore City. Methodist, Master Mason. Married Jimmie Taliaferro 1932. One daughter, Norma Lucille born 1933.
PAINE, GORDON L. - Born Keokuk Falls 1905. Educated Tribbey and Solomon's Temple grade schools, Washington high school. A. B. and Masters at O. U. Taught Connors Agricultural College, Warner. Master Mason. Elected fourth term high school principal Washita and Johnson County.
PAINE, NORMAN W
PAINE, NORMAN W. - Born Texas 1880, son of W. C. and Mary E. Paine. Moved here 1891 to attend first school south Little river at Old Griffin, July 1893. Drove ox team to drag logs for first school in area. Educated Shawnee high school 1895-96, University of Oklahoma. Teaching continuously since. Except for two years in Texas, all of it in this district. Married Lily Jones 1904. Children : Carrol, Gordon L., Charles Raymond (Andy), and Norma. All except Carrol, who died in infancy, graduates O. U. Member First Christian, A. F. & A. M., 1. O. O. F. First O. E. A. card dated 1895. Serving third term superintendent Trousdale schools. Mrs. Paine Presbyterian, Eastern Star. Both graduated East Central 1931
PATTON, C. C. - Settled in Dale community 1895 with father, have been prominent since. Came to county in 1893, moved near Dale 1894, then to townsite 1895.
PELPHREY, JESSE - From Texas 1897. Occupied same home in Shawnee since. Dry goods business three years, cotton buying many years, then in grocery business, 13 years city councilman. Children: Mrs. Mary Aline Christian, Mrs. Ruth Loriene Gardiner. Mrs. Pelphrey president County Historical Society.
PETERS, T. E. - Born 1890, son of Timothy Edwin and Malta Edwards Peters, educated Dallas public schools, North Texas normal, North Texas Teachers college, Oklahoma Baptist university A. cum laude 1928), masters from Colorado 1931. Married 1913 to Nora Jones. Southern Methodist, Democrat, Mason, principal and teacher Shawnee schools last 20 years. Children: William Edward born 1914, Charles 0. 1918.
PETTIGREW. C. E. - Three terms county clerk. Married daughter of H. C. Pybas, Trousdale, 1909. One son, Marvin, lives in Shawnee. Mrs. Pettigrew born on farm near Ardmore 1889.
PIERSON. HARRY A. - From Iowa 1902. In bank with C. J. Benson and F. B. Reed (old Oklahoma National organized by W. S. Search). 1914 started insurance, now oldest exclusive agency in Shawnee. Secretary county exemption board during war, charter member Rotary, member Red Cross executive committee, had charge fourth dist. 1933-34. Rotary dir. 1930. Sec. park board 1926-31, chairman community chest drive 1934, president community chest 1936.
PITMAN, CLYDE - Mayor Tecumseh 1936. Instrumental in getting federal projects for overpass. Civic auditorium. County attorney two terms.
PITMAN, L. G. - Pioneer Tecumseh citizen. Secretary first O. U. board regents. Helped layout McLoud, came to Tecumseh 1895. County attorney 1898-1902, superior judge 1914-1930
RATCHFORD, REX - Principal Macomb schools 1932, became superintendent 1935. As boy lived near Maud two years with father, W. T. Educated East Central.
RICE, DR. EDGAR EUGENE - Born 1899 Illinois. Moved to Shawnee 1902 when three years old. Educated Shawnee high school, University of Oklahoma, Northwestern, Internship in Cook county hospital, Chicago, post-graduate study at University of Edinburgh and Vienna. 1929. Married Mary Louis Alexander 1928. First Christian, Republican, Elks, A. F. & A. M., Indian Consistory McAlester, Shrine, India Temple, Oklahoma City. County, state and American medical societies, fellow American College of Surgeons. Began Shawnee practice with father 1926.
RIDDLE, H. T. - Came with father, W. M., to settle near Dent 1894. Moved into Shawnee 1913. 1906 interested Prague bank. Now vice-president American National.
ROBERTS, THELMA - Born 1915 near Tecumseh, daughter V. A. Roberts. Graduate Tecumseh high school, 1933. Elected county Pioneer Princess 1934. Employee Southwestern Bell Telephone
ROBINSON, MRS. RUBY GUILLIAMS - Born 1912 in Tecumseh, daughter J. A. Guilliams. Graduate Tecumseh high school, Draughan's Business College. Democrat, Presbyterian. Married Carl N. Robison 1932.
ROBISON, CLARENCE - From Arkansas via Indian terr. 1892. Married Irene Buzaard 1916. Mrs. H. Robison came from Kansas with parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jake Buzzard. Father one of men organizing first Dale school 1896. Mrs. Robison taught at Dale 1910-15. Children: Louise, ] 917; Aggie Joe, 1919; Lou Alice, 1921; Clarence Jr., 1924.
ROSEBUSH, E. L. - Born 1870, Erie, Kan. Married Sue Allen at Erie 1900. Educated Erie high school, State Normal school. Supt. schools Erie and Florence 1896 to 1902. Banker Prescott, Kan., 1903-9. Moved Tecumseh 1909, bought out E. \V. Miller's Tecumseh State bank. President of it and successor, Tecumseh National, 1909-32. Republican, Methodist, Mason, Odd Fellow, Modern Woodman, Knights of Pythtas, Chamber of Commerce. Mrs. Rosebush born 1873. Educated Baker University. P. E. 0., W. C. T. U. Children: Mrs. Marion Sundt 1901; Allen, 1903; Foster (killed in accident 1929), born 1908; William, 1914 (died 1932).
ROYSTER, DR. J. H. - 1899 passed territorial medical board. 1897 had come to old Wanette from Kansas. Moved new Wanette 1903. Educated Chanute, Kan., high school, and Louisville medical college, 1905.
SCOTT, CAPTAIN S.
SCOTT, JUDGE HENRY W., Judge in Choctaw case
SEARCH, W. S.
SHAVELAND, KITTlE PARKS MUNDAY - Born Honey Grove, Tex. One daughter, Ruckey Parks, now Mrs. Herbert Nichols, Tecumseh. First located at Avoca in hardware and furniture business. Later moved to Asher. Carried on business after Mundy's death. After some years married Tony Shaveland, Rock Island engineer.
SMITH, T. D. - Born 1868 Ohio. Came Oklahoma City 1889, Tecumseh 1891. In business here since opening. Director of bank 30 years, once vice-president. Married Minnie Dora Oliver 1899. James F. Oliver, father, drove first stage into Tecumseh, carried first mail between Tecumseh and Oklahoma City.
SNIDER, NELSON R. - came to county at opening. Married Kate Rush 1894. One child died at birth. Baptist, Democrat. Snider first located jewelry shop at Tecumseh. Mover to Asher 1901 as member Pickens-Snider business. Nervous breakdown brought retirement. Since Mrs. Snider has been carrying on business in Asher. Mrs. Snider teacher in early Tecumseh school. Asher postmistress eight years. Active as business woman and as news correspondent for many years
STONE, GEORGE - Born 1867 in Arkansas. Grew to manhood in Benton county, Ark. Married Margurite F. Jones 1890. Moved Texas 18n, then to southeast part of Cleveland county 1898. Moved to Asher 1902. Children: Mrs. in Minnie Johnston, Oklahoma City: Mrs. Pearl Grafton, Texarkana; L. J. Stone, Oklahoma City; George Stone. Memphis; Mrs. Edith Tanner, Oklahoma City: Mrs. Marie Hamilton, Detroit; Mrs. Marguerite Bispling, Houston: James Bryan Stone died 1898: Mattie Stone died 1911. Legislature watchman 1903: register deeds 19051911. Employee school land department 1915. Steward at Fort Supply hospital 1916-1919. Insurance business since, now at Tecumseh.
STRANGE, W. T. - Born 1866 Alabama. Came to county 1927 from Ardmore. Married Cordia Lane 1893. Children: William Lane, Fern and Wilma (all deceased), \V. T. Jr., John R. and Thomas. Methodist, Democrat. Strange located in Asher following Wamego oil boom. President Chamber of Commerce during boom days at Asher. Was early day hardware "drummer." Later took position with Oklahoma City firm, making Pottawatomie county on his rounds.
STUTSMAN, Dr. N. Keokuk feud
SWEET, MITTIE COTTEN - Born 1887, daughter of J. L. and Josephine Cotten. Father was county clerk five years. Came to county 1901 from Texas. Educated Tecumseh high school, O. U., Baptist University, Columbia, Colorado and California. Taught: Tecumseh 19051910: McLoud 1912; Collierville, Tenn. high school 1913; Shawnee 1914-17; Tecumseh 1917-22; Ardmore 1922-24; Pauls Valley 1924-26: East Central summer sessions 1925-26; Tecumseh high school principal 1920-22. Married 1926 to .Jerome A. Sweet. Residence, Colusa, Calif.
TAYLOR, MISS HELEN - Graduated Tecumseh high school 1908, early member alumni association. Began teaching career immediately. Later had two years at O. D., also summer terms. Tecumseh high school principal since 1922.
TEMPLETON, W. L
THOMAS, ABBOT - First Sacred Heart abbot under state jurisdiction, 1896. Abbey had been under direct supervision of Rome prior to that time with Abbot Robot in charge.
TOOLEY, WILLIAM - Born 1904. From Texas to Oklahoma 1917. Married Annie May Louther 1926. Bettie Lou born 1927 near Asher; William Early born 1932. Mr. and Mrs. Tooley are active young folks in Asher activities. Baptist, Republican, Mason.
TROUSDALE, W. B.
WARD, MRS. NINA - Born 1867 in Iowa. Came to Oklahoma 1882, to this county 1892. Married 1887 to James T. Tallent. One daughter, Mrs. Dolly Taylor, in Texas. Tallent died 1892. Mrs. Ward filed claim west of Tecumseh seen after. Worked in Chisholm's tent hotel, there met George Ward whom she married 1895. Children: Ernest born 1897; Violet Ward Knight of Mountain View, Mo., born 1899. Mrs. Ward Batist, Democrat, charter member Rebekah lodge, active in Y. C. T. U.
WARREN, MRS. KIB
WELDON, W. A. - Came to Asher 28 years ago, and since has held practically every local office of importance; school board member for years. Ardent sports fan. Father of Mrs. Isom Majors.
WEST-ALLEN The Corner
WILLINGHAM, F. E. - Born 1903 Indian terr. Educated Francis high school, East Central. O. U. 1925 coach and principal two years under Tecumseh school superintendents, R. L. Clayton and A. W. Dagley. Coached again 1828 after Haskell McManus resigned. Superintendent schools since. Married 1933 to Marion Cordell. Democrat. Mason, Christian, Eastern Star.
WILSIE, W. H. - Born 1889 Arkansas. Came with parents to Asher 1897. Married Sarah E. Asher 1914. Christian church, Independent in politics. Children: William Harold Jr., 1915; Robert, 1917. Wilsie past patron of Asher Masonic lodge, past patron Eastern Star chapter. Mrs. Wilste one of most useful community workers for last 20 years. Teacher 18 years. First P. T. A. secretary, head of Red Cross, school board clerk, seven years secretary Eastern Star, first secretary of Patron's club, now Civic club.
WOODWARD, JOHN EDWARDS - 1911, Walters. Educated Walters, O. U. Phi Beta Kappa. Mason. Southern Baptist. Married 1935 to Norma Paine. Principal Trousdale high school 1933-35. Now teacher in El Reno high school.
WYATT, T. C.
ZEIGLER, MRS. ELMER - One of few now living who came from Kansas with Pottawatomie tribe in 1870. Daughter, Mrs. Bonnie Hays, one of first children born in county. Mrs. Zeigler born 1853, now resident Bronaugh, Mo.
HERALD PRINTING CO. SHAWNEE, OKLAHOMA
There were other pictures in original book, but they were to dark to be printable and recognizable.